The SABC Crown Gospel Music Awards is a platform to award excellence in the South African gospel music industry under various categories. To date, the awards boast more than 30 categories. The winners are awarded a crown for their contribution in the gospel industry. Founded and produced by Zanele Mbokazi and sponsored by the SABC, the awards are the biggest event on the South African gospel calendar.
Venue: Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre in Durban, South Africa
Date: 24 November.
The submission deadline is 16 September.
Who is eligible to enter?
- The awards are open to all recording companies, artists, producers, engineers, composers and promoters who are citizens or permanent residents of South Africa. The category for Best of Africa Gospel is open to all companies and artists in Africa (outside SA’s boarders).
- Only works that have been released in the past 36 months and have not been nominated before for an SABC Crown Gospel Music Award will be accepted.
- The Best Classic of All Time category entry should be a song that has been in existence for seven years or more.
- International collaboration and productions are also encouraged to enter, provided they are predominantly by South African artists or producers.
Requirements for the Best Community Outreach category:
- Supporting media articles (if available).
- Three references.
- Visuals (DVD and pictures).
Artists who are nominated in any category will receive:
- One-night accommodation at a five-star hotel.
- Two VIP tickets to the main event and cocktail afterparty.
Entry fees and prizes
- The entry fee for Best Gospel Artist and Best Gospel Song is R1 500 ($120). The winner in each of the two categories will get R10 000.
- Entry fees for all other categories are R1 200. The winner in each category will receive R5 000 and a trophy.
- Entry fees will not be refunded for disqualified entries.
- Best Gospel Producer Album
- Best Gospel Song
- Best of Africa Gospel
- Best Male Gospel Artist
- Best A Capella (Solo/Group)
- Best Church Choir Community Outreach by Artist/Group
- Best Gospel Artist
- Best Gospel Jazz Song
- Classic of All Time
- Best DVD
- Best R&B (Gospel/Group)
- Best Rap Gospel Rap (Solo/Group)
- Best Gospel Community Radio Show
- Best Gospel Radio Show
- Best Gospel TV Show
- Best Contemporary Song
- Best Clap and Tap
- Best Collaboration Gospel Song
- Best Worship Song
- Best Engineer
- Best Gospel Artist
- Best Newcomer
- Best Gospel Group
- Best Traditional Gospel
- Best Amazion (Solo/Group)
- Best Gospel Music Video
- Best Songwriter
- Best iTende
- Best Praise Song